Apr 28, 2012

I have no ACL

Back in this post, I chronicled my experience at Billabong Flaunt It, that resulted in my getting sledded off in the worst pain I've ever felt.

Yesterday, I got a call from my doctor with my MRI results.

"So I have some good news and some bad news. Good news, you didn't tear your meniscus. Bad news, you blew out your ACL. You have no ACL. It's completely gone."

Great, I find this out 27 days after my injury. And if I hadn't lied to the doctor about being in a bunch of pain so I could get an MRI, I still wouldn't know. I probably would have gone to Hood the summer and still not know until something happened there and then I would lose the whole winter season. As it is right now, I probably won't ride until the end of December or January, because I was told it would take 9 months for recovery after surgery.

I'm kind of freaking out. I don't know what to expect- I've never had surgery. I don't know what to do in the nine months I can't ride. I don't know how I'm going to find meaning in life during all that time, because honestly, the only thing I think about all day, is riding. And I'm nineteen years old. This shouldn't be happening to me. I'm too young to already need a new ACL.

I'm working on getting out of school early so I can move back home and get the surgery done ASAP, but I'm still probably gonna have close to two weeks before going under the knife.

Has anyone had to get a new ACL? Advice? How was it getting back into riding? Freaking out. Anything would help. Thanks.

PS. Ask people about the speed on big jumps before sending it so you don't end up like me.
PSS. How did I blow out my ACL and not get best crash award at Flaunt It? I think I did the most bodily damage out of anyone in the contest...

0 comments:

Post a Comment