Dec 13, 2010

H is for helmet.

What I did yesterday: Spent the day with a throbbing headache.
What I didn't do yesterday: Spend the day in the ER.

And that's entirely thanks to my helmet. I've never landed directly on my head before, but I always wear my helmet just in case. The inevitable finally happened yesterday and if it wasn't for the protection my helmet offered me I would have had split my head open for sure (and had to end the lesson I was giving to my wonderful new South African friends). I'm still in a bit of a shock from the fall because I know how bad things could have ended up for me.

Helmets are getting more and more common on the mountain but there are still a number of kids who are riding completely unprotected. According to the NSAA which has something to do with "National Ski Association" or something, only about 33% of skiers and snowboarders regularly wear helmets while riding. I don't understand how this number makes sense when stories of how helmets are saving lives are appearing everyday.

Heard of Cole Atencio? If not, read this. Note where it says: "Cole was wearing a helmet, and the doctors explicitly said it saved his life". How about the update on his health here where it says "Please be safe this season and don’t be too cool to wear a helmet. That piece of plastic is the reason he is still with us." If that doesn't do it for you, you must have at least heard of Kevin Pearce, who would have been a gold medal contender in the 2010 Olympics if it wasn't for his half pipe accident that left him with intense brain trauma and a bunch of other bad bad things. In this article, Kevin himself states "They're saying it's guaranteed I'd be dead right now if I didn't have a helmet on".

SO WHY WHY WHY aren't people wearing helmets???? Do yourself a favor and hook your head up with some protection. If you love snowboarding, why not take action to make sure you can keep loving it next season? The holidays are coming so if you can afford one yourself, ask for one as a gift. There are a lot of cool helmets out there that won't make you look like a n00b, and even if it did, why would it matter? I'd rather look like a loser but know I'll be alive tomorrow any day.

I personally sport a Salomon helmet which I love because it has fur inside the ear parts so it pretty much does the job of a beanie, but there are lots of brands that offer quality helmets such as Red, Bern, ProTec, and Smith. I'm not going to give you all sorts of stats and details here so sorry about that. Just go to your local shop, check out their selection and make some moves to keep yourself safe.
Smart style, yaddida? Don't let 10-11 be your last season. At least keep yourself going until the world ends in 2012.

0 comments:

Post a Comment