Oct 13, 2012

Standard Films, 2112

This past the month I've had the opportunity to attend a couple of the premieres of Standard Film's 2112.

The first time I saw the movie was at the North American premiere in Reno. It was at this place down town called ComRow. I went with Diva, who was taking photos for Standard, and a couple other kids from school. The movie was really good, especially considering what last year's snow situation was. After the movie I had the chance to meet Kimmy Fasani and go out with her and our crews of friends to this little karaoke bar. That was rad. Kimmy is an amazing snowboarder and an inspiration to women riders everywhere. The amazing thing, is that she's incredibly humble about it all. She was just so down-to-earth. Proof that nice girls can finish first. Also, three of the girls and I did Spice Girls karaoke and we totally killed it.

The next time I saw the movie was at this action sport film festival in San Francisco the next week. That premiere was inside a yoga studio at a rock climbing gym which was a different experience. The movie was projected on a wall and I'm pretty sure at least 70% of the audience weren't snowboarders. I was stoked to see the movie again because I really did like it.

Here's the riders (in order of part) and their highlights:
I took like 3 word notes for each rider so I'll attempt to remember what I meant by them.

 1. Frederik Kalbermatten- "Mtn" I think this means his part was all big mountain stuff. And because I remember liking the video from the very beginning I'm gonna venture out and say his part was pretty solid.
2. Ethan Morgan- "street siiick method" So Ethan's part was almost all street and he slayed it. One shot in his part was this mega mega slow mo of a method on this sweet jump in... BC? Idk where really, but it was a beautiful method. Really.
3. Gulli Gudmundsson- "lots of hard falls" Gulli ate shit. A lot. I mean like, a four course shit eating dinner. I don't know how he took so many ridiculous falls and didn't get hurt. I guess it was worth it though because he got some amazing shots in his part as well.
4. Mathieu Crepel- "sick pow" I'd guess this meant he had a sick pow part?
5. Kimmy Fasani- "huge cornice. Double" At one point Kimmy drops this pretty big cornice. And then she does a double on a park jump. No big.
6. Tim Humphreys- "humpppppy" Huh. Well. I think this note means Tim was Tim. You can tell in his riding how much he loves what he's doing and that's awesome. Tim's a good kid.
7. Chas Guldemond- "bangers on secret nstar" Last season Northstar build some secret jumps on the backside. Chas was there to throw down on them.
8. Anne-Flore Marxer- "pretty inspiring" If I remember correctly, Anne's part was all big mountain lines that were pretty out there. I had never really taken notice of her riding before, but I guess her part was pretty inspiring.
9. Nils Ardivsin- "toes fs9 Triple!!" Well, Nils dropped the triple. Clean. He also did a notable off the toes front nine. Or that was part of the triple note. I'm not sure.
10. Victor de la Rue- "go pro of big Mtn :O " Victor got some helmet cam shots of dropping into this big line and it made me go "whoaaah." It looked absolutely terrifying from the first person perspective. The French are crazy.
11. Xavier de la Rue- "chute in dark. Ice walls. Endless field of dreams. Powder over stars." There's a shot of Xavier going into a dark chute and I was like "bro, you can't see anything. you cray." And then there were shots of him ice riding because apparently Xavier doesn't need snow to snowboard anymore and I was like "bro, that's a wall of ice. you cray." And then he got to ride these mountains that just stretched out forever like a dreamland. And then there was this cool shot of powder being sprayed that was overlayed with a beautiful shot of the stars. And then the movie ended.

I really strongly highly recommend buying this movie. There's a little bit of everything in it. The music is great. The cinematography is beautiful. Just do it. Buy it now.


0 comments:

Post a Comment