Jul 21, 2011

The fuuuuture

People are always asking me what I want to do as a profession when I'm out of college. I guess I'm at the age where I'm supposed to be able to come up with a reasonable answer like "computer programmer" or "fashion designer."  Instead, I've been fairly consistent in my response of "pro snowboarder." I mean, it's like any other skilled professional position: if you want to play violin in the World Elite Symphony (I totally made that up. I don't know any prestigious musical positions one could aspire to) you're gonna to keep practicing and giving it your all so you can play with the best. I want to play my snowboard in the Olympics so I'm going to keep practicing and trying to get to that point.  I'm still only 18 and I've got a fair amount of confidence in my ability to make it to my goal.*

But what do I do after that? I'm working in a restaurant right now as a buser and it's such ridiculously hard work that I'm crossing "busing tables" off my after-pro-possible-career list. I don't particularly want a desk job, unless its some cool snowboard-related job. In the words of the great Wayne and Garth, I just want to "Party on!" My ultimate ultimate super awesome future career would be one that requires me to travel, go to parties, and meet people. I like being social and doing/seeing new things. I like excitement. Eric suggested being a social media director of a snowboard company. I think that would be cool. It'd definitely require hard work and it's probably a difficult job to get. But I think that will be my new post-snowboard get-a-real-job goal. Who knows if that will still be the position I want five years down the road? At least it's some sort of goal for now.



*I know I'll get shit from anybody who reads this because there's some sort of stigma in the snowboarding world about wanting to snowboard professionally. But I don't care. I'm not writing this to win friends or look cool. This is my diary and I'm being real. I'm not snowboarding for the sole purpose of going pro. I'm snowboarding because I love it more than anything in the world. Becoming a pro rider would just be a really exciting step in me living my dream.

2 comments:

The Angry Snowboarder said...

If you're going to go pro just remember it's not always who you know but who you're willing to blow. Words to live by. Actually just keep doing your thing and aligning yourself with the right people.

Jenise said...

I want going pro to happen because of my snowboarding skills, not my ability to make friends with the right people. But I see just getting there as a journey that will take a good number of years. For right now I'm just going to keep working on getting better and competing. And hopefully when the time is right my hard work will pay off and my riding will speak for me. That's at least how I'd like it to happen.
I want to be the pro that actually does cool stuff that people get stoked on, not the one that shows up in a movie and makes people go "Really? How the fuck is that person making money off this??"

Post a Comment