Nov 19, 2010

NO-rthstar

Today's word of the day is "NO-rthstar": This is when you want to go to Northstar for opening day and they say "No. No No-rthstar for you."

So, I made that post about how excited I was to go to Northstar today for opening and how I was going to make a post about opening day and such. WELL, I got all ready to go and was about to find a ride when someone goes "Are you going to Northstar? Well you can't." Apparently my friend Lloyd went up this morning and they wouldn't let him ride. They told him that employees were blacked out for the first couple of days. I called bullshit on that and called HR. Here's the conversation:
Me: Hi. So I was about to head out to Northstar to ride but I heard something about employees not being able to ride today.
HR lady: Yes that's correct.
Me: So... I can't ride today?
HR lady: Employees are blacked out until further notice.
Me: Oh. Bye.
BLACKED OUT TIL FURTHER NOTICE? WHAT? We got an e-mail from the ski school just four days ago saying "Please feel free to ski/ride on the hill prior to your start date." And then they didn't say anything about not being able to ride on opening. I guess a few people got an email this morning, but I sure didn't. Nothing sucks more than living right here and not being able to ride.


And now people are starting to come back to campus with their gear saying "Northstar was sick!" GRARRRRR! I've had a few people tell me that this is how Vail works. My RA worked for Vail for 3 years said that that's just how they are and I'll have to deal with "corporate madness". I hope he's wrong and it's not going to be like this all season. If it is, I'll completely understand all the kids who were pissed off about the Vail takeover. But I hope it's not. I have faith in Vail and am really excited to see what happens. Apparently the park is going to be off the chain this year (yes I just used that phrase) and I'm excited to work at a resort for the first time. I'll just have to wait until next week to ride there... 


I guess I'm done ranting. I'm going to try to get to Boreal or Rose today instead. Probably won't find a ride though. That's how things work around here. I'm not stuck in the city anymore, but I'm still not on the mountain. If anyone wants to give me a car that'd be cool. Let me know. Until then, I'm just watching the snow fall outside my window, wasting my days away. 


[[BTW, if you've been living under a rock and don't know about the Vail takeover read this.]]

4 comments:

.:Jessica:. said...

That sucks. Corporate resorts suck in general as far as management/rules/policies, ect. Hope you get to ride soon!

RyanStarr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Angry Snowboarder said...

Just a heads up from someone that's worked for the evil empire. If Vail reads this they will fire you because you don't share the same ideals as them. Best not to shit talk your employer who gives you the priviledge of riding. Also Vail always blacks out employees opening weekend at all their resorts.

Jenise said...

Oy. I did a slight editing and I don't think I really "shit talk" in a way that would get me fired. Pretty much just saying what I heard. Thanks for the heads up though.
And I guess it'll be nice to go later this week when there's a bunch of snow and more lifts open. Save my board from some rocks...

Post a Comment